It’s time for the April and May recap of Maniac Monday, Wine Wednesday, Thirsty Thursday or whenever I could get the work gang together to taste the massive buildup of wine that is happening in my office this Spring.
We tried 15 wines and I’m going to mention 13 of those wines as the highlights – remember these are all price points ranging from $12-$60, so these aren’t apples to apples comparisons:
- 2013 Arrowood Chardonnay – I got notes of cinnamon baked apples, lemon curd and a nice minerality. This was a very nice representation of chardonnay.
- 2013 Atalon Sauvignon Blanc – pineapple, grapefruit, peach and lemongrass make this a very quaffable and perfect patio wine.
- 2013 J Vineyards Chardonnay – this white had a little spice to it with pineapple, lemon, white stone fruit and a nice balance.
- 2012 Atalon Cabernet Sauvignon – blackberry, chocolate, currant, mocha, spice and a touch of smoke.
- 2012 Atalon Pauline’s Cuvee – black cherry, cherry cola, spice and notes of tobacco. A very nice drinkable, approachable blend.
- 2011 Arrowood Cabernet Sauvignon – notes of toffee, plum, Asian spice and cherry. This was a very well balanced cabernet.
- 2013 J Vineyards Pinot Noir – red cherry, stone fruit, plum and notes of licorice.
- 2012 La Pitchoune Pinot Noir – this was a party in a glass and one of the highlights of the tasting. I loved the Burgundian style pinot with its notes of fig, red cherry, earth and layers of complexity.
- 2013 Olema Pinot Noir – cherry cola, berry, minerality, earth and pepper.
- 2012 Olema Cabernet Sauvignon – mocha, cassis, vanilla, blackberry and herbal notes.
- 2012 Rodney Strong Cabernet Sauvignon – a nice everyday red with notes blackberry, mocha, herbs, cassis and herbs.
- 2011 Sokol Blosser Pinot Noir – this was a nice earthy pinot with notes of black cherry, cranberry, raspberry and notes of mushroom. Delicious.
- 2010 Vina Pomal Reserva – earthy with notes of blackberry and raspberry with a nice balance.